Friday, October 14, 2011

D & J


D & J


  






  June and I  would like to take this opportunity to say that we are
very happy to be offered the opportunity to share your beautiful
residence here at Anderson Oaks. We have toured your facility,had
lunch here one afternoon and talked to a number of your members.
I have no doubt that we will enjoy our stay here.


I have been working on our family profile for anyone who like to
know about us. Ofcourse if you are not interested in our past life,
then read no more. After I write our profile, I will post it on the door
to our room unless there is a bulletin board available to post such
notices.


For those who might be curious about their new neighbors, I will
try to make it as brief as possible and still cover all of the basics.
Our family members are;
June S. Potter Thurston; Born September 27,1930 in Cambridge,Ma.
Richard E. Thurston; Born Janurary 10,1931 in Bucksport,Maine
Richard W,(Rick) Thurston;(son) Born June 23,1952 in Waltham,Ma.
Jaye E, Thurston;(daughter) Born July 25,1954 in Waltham,Ma.
Gary E. Thurston:(son)Born Janurary 23,1960 in Winter Haven,Fl. (Deceased)


June moved with her family to Bucksport, in 1945 when she was 15.
(Her dad wanted to be a farmer, but the only crop that would grow for
him was "Radishes". He was a city boy who knew diddly-squart about
farming so he went to work in the paper mill in town.


June and I dated pretty steady for a year or so then she wanted to "cool
it" because she thought I was getting too serious. After graduating from
high school I moved to Arlington,Ma. to live with my dad's sister and her
husband while I went to Cooking School (my dad's idea-not mine). I
worked in Boston as a stocking clerk until the Draft Board began getting
closer to my draft age, then I enlisted in the U.S. Coast Guard. I got June
to say that she would answer any letter that I wrote to her and when I got
out of Boot Camp,we got engaged.


I was assigned to the new Boston Port Security Unit. We had a two room
3rd floor apartment rented to us by her Aunt. We enjoyed our "newly wed"
life until somehow we slipped up and June started putting on a lot of weight.
Knowing that we were about to expand our family, I applied for Electronic
School. In October I graduated and was assigned the the Loran Station on
Nantucket Island at Siasconset. We had a wonderful 12 months on
there and made friends with good number of friendly Islanders.


On my discharge from the Coast Guard, we moved back to Waltham,Ma. Where
June's Aunt allowed us to set up a 26 ft  house trailer that we had bought. (they
owned several acres of land there). I got a job with an electronic scale company
in Cambridge. In July a beautiful little girl popped into our lives to complete our
family.


Our next big move came when I was offered an Electrical apprenticeship position
in the Bucksport Paper Mill in Maine(paying more than I was making as a electronic
technician).The trailer was getting too small for the four of us and we couldn't afford
to rent an apartment. I accepted the apprenticeship  position. We moved in with June's
parents temporarily(she is an only child).


Going into the Electrical Apprenticeship Program was ,without doubt, the smartest
move that I ever did. I loved the Industrical Electrical Trade and the Electrical Trade
was very,very good to me. I took every course that I could find that improved my
knowledge of the Electrical , Instrumentation and Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
Trades. This knowledge paid very high dividends to me.


June devoted 35 years to the Banking Industry, working as a very popular Teller and
Customer Service representative. She won many awards during her working career

1 comment:

ProudLion said...

Hello - you probably don't remember me but Gary was a very special friend to me in Winter Haven. He served as best man at my wedding. The last time I saw you and and Mrs. Thurston was the memorial/party you had for him. I especially think of him on his birthday - as Jan 23 is approaching i did a google search and was happy to find your blog.

Jerry Taft